Re: Itemprop for person

Hi, Karen -

Bowker is one of the 2 active ISNI registration agencies now, and we've been sending information to OCLC for ISNI assignment.  Other information used to seed the ISNI database comes from Musicbrainz, the British Library, and ProQuest databases.

The pseudonyms in ISNI (and hence in some of the VIAF database - I know for a fact that Agatha Christie's entry was done manually by ISNI staff) are determined by the quality control team, which consists of the British Library and Bibliotheque Nationale.

Which is to say that yes, in the case of Agatha Christie, the assignment of a pseudonym starts with information in the library authority files, but is added to and corroborated by information from other files as well.

Important to remember that while there may be ISNIs in VIAF, ISNI=!=VIAF.