Re: Web Civics, Webizen, Schema.org & StratML

Owen,

If you haven't already - join-up here;
https://www.w3.org/community/schema-gen/

I think your plan seeks to 'update' StratML (as referenced below - Kingsley
also, fyi.) which whilst offering opportunities for schemaorg is likely
independent (with the ability to assist with sameAs references where
required).  Therein.  The Schema-gen group is designed to provide support
for these sorts of projects.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 at 05:22 Owen Ambur <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net> wrote:

> Tim, I rendered your goal for Web Civics in StratML format for inclusion
> our collection at http://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#WC2 or, more
> specifically, http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/WC2wStyle.xml  It seems to me
> that one’s personal values, goals, and performance (results) are important
> aspects of one’s identity.  What do you think?

Agreed. Yet part of performance is ACLs and structured data that's
effectively able to be managed, et.al. which loops back to values (but more
coordinated values rather than those solely 'controllable' by a single
'actor' (moreover singular human).

> As time permits, I may also render in open, standard, machine-readable
> StratML format the objectives of Webizen, the W3C’s Web Developers &
> Friends service, and/or Australia’s Liberal Party.
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Webizen &
> https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/5103 &
> https://cdn.liberal.org.au/pdf/FederalPlatform_TN.PDF

I was involved with the webizen thing.  note also: http://webizen.org/ (FOAF
based)

> If you’d like to collaborate with me to render those plans (or any others)
> in StratML format, please let me know.

IMHO StratML needs to be serialised as RDF.  I haven't had time to really
dig into the labour cost / implications of doing this.

Kingsley,

I'm a little time poor at the moment, and moreover you're the expert.
What's required to update StratML to RDF serialization (likely inclusive to
some sort of interop capability for pre-existing frameworks and web-data?

seeAlso:
- http://www.dataversity.net/introduction-to-rdf-vs-xml/
- https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/RDF-XML.html
- http://www.cambridgesemantics.com/semantic-university/rdf-vs-xml

> With reference to “identity,” it seems to me the values, longer-term
> goals, and near-term objectives of candidates for elective office, public
> officials, and political parties are prime candidates for rendition in an
> open, standard, machine-readable format like StratML.  Surely we can do
> better than 30-second attack ads, fake news, and other forms of political
> propagandizing, can’t we?
>
> Agreed, and as noted; the works are broad in nature.

> BTW, while it would be nice to think the folks at Google and/or MS might
> already be leveraging internationally standardized schemas like StratML
> (ISO 17469-1), thereby giving folks greater incentive to use them, the fact
> they do not yet do so increases my incentive to work toward the day they
> can no longer afford to ignore such important standards.

Yes.  However i'm fairly sure RDF serialisation is required.

> Moreover, if the Trump administration corrects the Obama administration’s
> failure to implement section 10 of the GPRA Modernization Act (GPRAMA), I
> have little doubt that other service providers will devise creative ways to
> make that information highly useful not only to policy makers but also to
> citizens, taxpayers, and anyone else who gives a hoot about public
> objectives.  http://stratml.us/references/PL111-532StratML.htm#SEC10
>

> If the folks at Google and MS fail to do so, it will be far from the first
> time incumbent giants have missed transformational business opportunities.
>

> In the meantime, at least Google’s site-specific query feature can be used
> for full-text searches of the StratML collection.
> http://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm

IMHO: we've got a couple of big issues which impact StratML alongside other
issues / programs of work. see also:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schema-gen/2017Mar/0001.html

alongside the tools i've identified:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19IEgvdvwl_EOGhmIFinVQu4OerRojeje8PaZWGvoO4Q/edit#gid=0