Re: Cost

On 24 February 2016 at 11:05, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Yes +1 to the use of the price & priceSpecification properties from Offer
> to specify the cost of a course.
>
> Often there will be one price/Offer per CourseOffering so making price a
> property of CourseOffering makes sense.
>
> If CourseOffering is a subtype of Offer that would be true by default.

> Sometimes there will be variable prices per CourseOffering, so a single
> CourseOffering needs multiple Offers.
>
> This diverges from the established style/pattern in Schema.org - if the
price is different, it is a different offer.

> Looking at the examples (e.g. Fife Accounting), often the cost details are
> the same for multiple CourseOfferings and are specified in a separate HTML
> block from the CourseOfferings -- microdata and RDFa kind of struggle when
> information about a single entity is split over several blocks of HTML, so
> it would help if the cost could be set at Course level.

I understand the concerns about html formatting - in practice however these
are often overcome by the use of meta, link, and span elements.

Having pricing information at the Course level will introduce a 2nd pattern
of mark-up that will only work if there is a single price/offer.  This
’simpler’ pattern will also differ from the Schema.org established
patterns.  It will I suggest introduce confusion (*which pattern do I use
and why?*); potential for error (*I have a course with a price then add a
CourseOffering at a different price - which wins?*).  Dependant on website
navigation, a course description could potentially be on a separate page to
that of Offer(s) for that course - separating prices from offers is also
potentially error prone.

As previously mentioned, if there is

> What does this give us?
>
> Course needs an offers property

Would get it from CreativeWork

> CourseOffering needs an offers property

Disagree see above

For simplicity it would help if CourseOffering had a price property

Disagree - not necessary and could cause error/confusion

> If CourseOffering is a subtype of Offer, it seems strange that there
> should be multiple offers of an Offer, but actually
> http://schema.org/AggregateOffer gives a pattern that does just this.
>
> A useful Type, that could be used but, for reasons I describe above,
supported by your strange feelings, I don’t believe it should be on Offer
or any of its subtypes.

> Does that work for everyone?

Not quite for me.
~Ricard.