Re: Modelling Course and CourseOffering

On 15/02/2016 11:05, Richard Wallis wrote:

> On 15 February 2016 at 11:01, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk
> <mailto:phil.barker@hw.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     OK, I get the message that dropping CourseOffering is not an option.
>
>     An alternative to reproducing all the Course properties in
>     CourseOffering would be to mark up single offering Courses as both
>     Course and CourseOffering, e.g.

>     "schema.org" claiming to be* "http://schema.org/"
>     <http://schema.org/> typeof = "Course, CourseOffering">
>

> A pragmatic approach to this worth considering maybe to make
> CourseOffering a subtype of Course.  That way all the properties of
> Course would be available, if useful, when marking up a CourseOffering
> instance.

Yes, that's possible. Though I am worried that it might also end up
being a sub type of Offer, CreativeWork and Product, and that while
there are perhaps ~10 properties that are needed for CourseOffering
implementers will be presented with a list of ~100 to choose from.
During the design phase, I would rather be agnostic about what are the
parents of Course and CourseOffering, to draw properties we need from
wherever in schema they currently are, and have a look at the end to see
what they look like.

Phil

--
Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil

Workflow: http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/workflow/

-----
We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.