Re: Modelling Course and CourseOffering

Phil et al,

Great dialog so far! Allow me to offer a couple of notes on the open
questions:

Phil wrote:

> Open for discussion:
> - should Course be a subtype of Intangible or CreativeWork?

This can be argued either way with validity depending on your scope of
definition of a course. I would recommend Intangible to take the more
inclusive perspective of a course and course offering. I consider courses
that are mainly experiential such as Intermediary Wine Tasting or Advanced
Meditation Practice/Lab, etc. There are a whole class of courses (pardon
the pun) that are about doing rather then show and tell. Furthermore those
that are more about show and tell often aggregate a collection of different
creative works and then apply a collaborative discussion, evaluation or
critique process as group on those works. That feels rather intangible to
me.

> - is there a need for a separate type for the instantiation?

Is there a strong reason to separate this? Seems cleaner to not if we don;t
have a strong reason to, and I don't have one to offer.

  --if there is need, can we agree to call it a CourseOffering?

That seems like a ok name if we need it, but US K-12 noremallt talks abotu
a course and a course section (With an instructor, schedule, syllabus,
set of learning expectations (aka competencies) and requirements, etc.).
But why not simply list all the "Course Sections" with the course and their
related section specific information? Maybe that is what the sub-type is
needed for?

FWIW,

Joshua Marks