Re: A JavaScript library for reading and writing to files?

On Mon, 27 Sept 2021 at 19:32, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> On 9/27/21 1:29 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> On 9/25/21 9:55 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
> also kingsley has suggested
>
> "the source code of our OSDS doesn't reveal how to write to file:,
> http:, or sparql-compliant DBMS targets? "
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/openlink-structured-data/egdaiaihbdoiibopledjahjaihbmjhdj<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/openlink-structured-data/egdaiaihbdoiibopledjahjaihbmjhdj> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/openlink-structured-data/egdaiaihbdoiibopledjahjaihbmjhdj>
>
> I think that's a misinterpreted sentence. I meant to say, or would have
> said:
>
> "doesn't our OSDS doesn't reveal how to write to file:, http:, or
> sparql-compliant DBMS targets?"
>

> OSDS can save from your browser's DOM to locations associated with the
> following URIs :file, http:, where http: also includes LDP, Solid Pods,
> SPARQL Endpoints etc..
>
> This is all implemented as part of the "Save As" functionality provided
> by the extension which is written in Javascript.
>
> You can also see the same functionality exposed via our Single-Page App
> prototype at:
> https://github.com/OpenLinkSoftware/single-page-apps
>

> Melvin,
>
> My comment was:
>
> "So the source code of our OSDS doesn't reveal how to write to file:,
> http:, or sparql-compliant DBMS targets? I mean, if an extension has a
> 'Save As' to all of those targets doesn't that imply that it MUST have the
> capability that you are looking for? "
>
> I think you misread what I was trying to communicate :)

Thanks for the clarification

Yes, I am looking for the "save", "save as" and "autosave" metaphors

OSDS is a great input, thanks.  I've started on the "autosave" feature
already for the file system, which is the use case that I needed

Hopefully there could be some reusable close in OSDS, thanks for the
pointer!

The schemes I'll support to start with are file:, http:, https:, and
possibly git: