Re: BBC / solid / databox announcement; thoughts

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 19:02, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Was databox that we used associated to this?
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2021-09-personal-data-store-research
>
> In anycase.  I have mixed feelings about the announcement.

Thanks for sharing.  No that's a different databox

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.  The more read write
data, the better

It was unclear whether you can sign up for a profile yet.  Do you know if
that's possible yet?

> I made this in 2015;
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1crcUgMcqNjgtrS7GfI_u0oM5lgoMC6YohbwoUIGeva4/edit?usp=drivesdk
>

> Provided to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Mitchell_(media_buyer)
>
> After other works in the field over sometime.  Yet, the outcome was that I
> got attacked.
>
> Old docs inc.
> https://www.slideshare.net/Ubiquitousau/ about itv company, etc.
>
> Made a few comments:
> https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tony-moran-3713542_personal-data-stores-building-and-trialling-activity-6849114848320729089-hOwb
>
> But I haven't published the letters to ministers at the time, associated
> to persons / Mobile numbers...
>
>  It's been a long journey.
>
> I was chatting to a friend, in the Industry who remembers my work on it at
> the time.
>
> Said to her I didn't want her to think me hopeless, as I self funded my
> work, with no ROI.  We know why, well, we do overtime.
>
> Therein; at least someone has done it / been doing it.  It's impossible to
> suggest work embodied a good idea, unless someone progresses it.
>
> The only thing I'd note, other than my feelings of good about how it is
> progressing,
>
> About the only thing that I think is important to suppliment my desire to
> support the progress; is the situation of Tony Scott, who died tragically
> soon after helping me with this work, freely.
>
> Met through Anton (who was good friends with Tony) as a consequence of me
> seeking help for Manu to support SBIR funding.
> (Have emails if people are confused)
>
> Climbing upon the shoulders of giants, is different to climbing upon he
> shoulders of the dead.
>
> Back then, Anton believed https://www.exoplatform.com/ was the answer,
> victor ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Perton ) believe my work
> was to copy it.
>
> Clearly they didn't listen.
>
> Perhaps others can help them now.
>
> Aussies seem a little backwards, if not dead.

Please try to avoid negative generalizations of a certain group or
nationality etc.

> Sadly.
>
> Few know the association between our work with Manu; and vaccine passports
> globally.
>
> Like the moral framework illustrated by TimBL, perhaps there's more
> opportunities.
>
> As to maintain an optimistic approach.
>
> As such, I've been convinced to attend:
> https://internetidentityworkshop.com/
>
> The version of history being told doesn't stack up against the version I
> remember.
>
> IMO: human dignity, is an objective.
>
> Is that part of the intended rww design, ontologically via inferencing
> standards?
>
> Or is that outside scope for W3C?

The TAG are working on their own ethical web principles

https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/ethical-web-principles/

This groups is just using standards to read and write to the web