Re: tracking state changes in a temporal read-write web

On 5/21/21 10:34 AM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Why do these discussions immediately explode in all possible
> directions? Temporal integrity, blockchain (agnostic), hashing... How
> about we figure out the very *very* basics first, and start building
> from that?
>
> I have a suggestion for a simple decentralized use case:
>
>     There are 2 agents running instances of the same application,
> where the instances are peers since the application includes both a
> server (with an RDF storage backend) and a client and can communicate
> both ways.
>     One of the agents accesses (dereferences) an RDF document on the
> peer application, and stores that data in its own application.
>
> And that's it, to begin with. The intention is that now the agent can
> cross-reference the new data with the rest of the data in its
> application, e.g. using SPARQL if the storage supports it.
> Authentication, authorization are of course also in this picture, but
> they are orthogonal, so for the sake of simplicity we can skip them
> for now.
>
> Is that too simplistic? Then please show me an RDF-based app that can
> do this out-of-the-box.

Nice and simple use-case.

I've been able to achieve what you describe with a Virtuoso instance
running on two or more of my PCs since 2007, using RDF and SPARQL. Since
1998, pre SPARQL using ODBC or JDBC and SQL. Virtuoso is just as small
as SQLite, so it can run on small devices, including Rasberry Pi.

If Virtuoso doesn't register re "notion of application" then our
OpenLink Data Spaces Collaboration Platform (built using Virtuoso) is
another example that runs in exactly the same mode. For instance, I can
mount folders across instances, sparql query, perform various CRUD
operations against Calendars, Files in File Systems (by mounting WebDAV
is various ways), and much more.

Here's a suggestion re most basic RWW use-case:

A simple Application deployed in Single Page Application mode (ie.,
HTML, CSS, and JS) that can achieve the following:

1. Authenticate using a variety of protocols

2. Insert, Update, or Delete Data using a simple data entry form or via
SPARQL; authentication is multi-protocol thereby offering choices;
storage options included a File System or DBMS; and all this subject to
ACLs in place.

Example:

[1] https://github.com/OpenLinkSoftware/single-page-apps

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com