Re: tracking state changes in a temporal read-write web

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 16:14, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> Gaps needed to fill:  create URIs for hash1,2,...n.  Create URIs for
> tx1,2...n
>
> 3. Two way links between state machines
>
> Two way links between those state machines ensure strong coupling between
> the two systems providing a bootstrap.  So from the case of the linked
> data, you need a pointer to the transaction URI.  And from the block chain
> you need a pointer to the hash URI.
>
> From a block chain there's a couple of ways to do this, one is the
> so-called OP_RETURN which allows you to embed data in at transaction.  The
> other is known as 'tweaking' a public key on order to add a hash
> (hash1,2...n in the web chain)
>
> Linking from linked data to a transaction, once you have a URI can be done
> in a number of ways.  But as linked data is designed to link to other URIs
> it's quite doable by putting it onto the data structure.  Another
> technique, for example in VCS is to put a link in the commit message, as
> commit messages are part of the chained tree
>
> 4. Ensuring Temporal Integrity
>
> Once (1), (2), (3) are in place.  Change can be made to the state machine,
> and new hashes generated.  With the example of git we can commit hashes to
> a file system, or a centralized server such as github
>
> But, If we want to commit at web scale, we can do so as follows:
>
> Firstly generate a hash of the new state.  Then move the transaction in
> the block chain along to point to this new state.  The transaction itself
> has PKI based ownership rights which have a variety of ways to manage and
> transfer ownership including so-called "multi sig" ownership where any N of
> a given M actors need to agree on a transition
>
> Finally, point the web chain back to this new transaction once it is
> confirmed
>
> This will progress the web chain in time and mirror it on the underlying
> time stamp server
>
> The resulting system creates a temporal read write web state machine
> anchored to the strong assurances of an underlying timestamp server
>
> This is a sketch outline of something that could be turned into a
> prototype or MVP, and also illustrating the gaps in technology that we
> need, namely to create two URI schemes, to hash web state, and describe
> state transitions, for data and for agents
>
> Appreciate this is a sketch outline right now, feedback welcome!
>

> Great explanation!
>
> *Challenge:*
>
> Persisting this in a form that available for easy recall.
>
> *Suggestions:*
>
> 1. Documentation using RDF sentences in a document
>
> 2. A visual diagram to complement -- e.g., using http://draw.io
>
> *Example:*
>
> 1.
> http://www.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/general/knowledge-graph-manifestation-turtle-jsonld.html
> -- I constructed that for explaining Hypertext, Hyperdata, Hypermedia etc.,
> in relation to Knowledge Graphs; that all started from a draw.io diagram

Good thoughts, I can add some diagrams to explain things better

Couple of inspiration of images I'd like to make:

https://www.commerceblock.com/images/mainstay.png

And Figure 1. from this white paper (which has quite related ideas)

https://cloudflare-ipfs.com/ipns/ipfs.commerceblock.com/commerceblock-whitepaper-mainstay.pdf

I'm not great with graphics, nor can afford to hire someone, but I've asked
an artist friend to see if they can help

I'll give draw.io a look tho