Re: RWW Use-Case Example: Web-Scale Ticketing Ideas

On 5/20/21 11:22 AM, Henry Story wrote:

>> On 20. May 2021, at 17:17, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>>
>> Changed title to orient focus.
>>
>> Here's what exists currently, putting blockchains aside.
>>
>>  • I can generate an X.509 Certificate (which an expiration date) that functions as my Web Ticket
>>  • I can ACL protect my RDF documents and even associated services
>> Adding a blockchain to the mix solves the following:
> Btw. with Verifiable Credentials we should now be in a position to go beyond X509 - finally!
> It is also quite possible to bypass the TLS layer for authentication.
> Finally one can use description logic to describe access rights.
>
> I am trying to bring all these ideas together here:
>
> https://github.com/solid/authentication-panel/blob/main/proposals/HttpSignature.md
>
> One type of description could be ownership of a ticket, signed by the agency giving out the tickets.

Okay, but don't loose track of the following PKI virtues:

1. TLS ubiquity -- supported by every modern OS

2. X.509 ubiquity -- ditto

3. PKCS#12 ubiquity -- ditto

Alternatives that exclude the items listed above will inherit
significant "ubiquity attainment" opportunity costs, IMHO.

We will certainly add support for HttpSignatures to our stack, but I am
concerned about bootstrap, on-boarding, and user experience.

BTW -- have you been tracking DPKI [1] ?

Links

[1] http://www.weboftrust.info/downloads/dpki.pdf -- DPKI

Kingsley

>>  • Making my Ticket more copy-proof by tracking ownership via a Blockchain -- rather than depending solely on "private key" access and control on the part of users
>>  • Handling accounting for future royalties etc
>> Links:
>>
>> [1] https://medium.com/virtuoso-blog/understanding-our-lod-connectivity-license-offer-2eef8fffaa7e -- example of the X.509 approach that's been in use for a while now re ODBC and JDBC Connectivity to the LOD Cloud
>>
> Henry Story
>
> https://co-operating.systems
> WhatsApp, Signal, Tel: +33 6 38 32 69 84‬
> Twitter: @bblfish

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):