Re: Coherent (modern) definition of RWW

On 5/19/21 7:14 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 21:33, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/18/21 2:50 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>     On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 7:19 PM Tomasz Pluskiewicz
>>     <tomasz@t-code.pl <mailto:tomasz@t-code.pl>> wrote:
>>

>>         And yet isn’t most software worldwide plain JSON over HTTP,
>>         with some RAML or Open API if you’re lucky?
>>
>>         But I think I will stop here, since we appear to be getting
>>         nowhere :)
>>

>>     Agree on both points, seeing this degenerate into httpRange-14,
>>     confusion over resource vs representation, confusion over
>>     protocols vs abstract concepts, of the duality of resource names,
>>     is a pity indeed.
>>
>>     Regarding JSON over HTTP, could that not be a part of RWW?
>

>     Yes, IMHO.
>
>     In my experience JSON is just another combined structured data
>     representation notation and content serialization format.
>
>     It is a shame that RDF as a formalization of EAV has lead to so
>     much confusion re:
>
>     1. Structured Data Definition Language
>
>     2. Structured Data Representation Notation
>
>     3. Structured Data Serialization Format
>
>     Our Structured Data Sniffer happily transforms JSON and CSV to RDF
>     whenever said transformation is requested by a user.
>

>>     If we focus on being media type agnostic, and avoid rdf/linked
>>     data completely, then it'll work for everything, which includes
>>     linked data. Focus on the super set.
>

>     Yep!
>
>     The Super Set should always be the point of focus if
>     interoperability is the goal. That's a classic route to more "AND"
>     and less "OR" .
>

> +100 to this
>
> It took me some time to fully understand the subject, predicate,
> object model of RDF, and it was made much easier for me when you first
> explained the Entity Attribute Value (EAV) model
>
> We've generally taken the semantic web approach to standards in this
> group, with some evangelism.  That has had mixed success.
>
> We should be inclusive of the many thousands (millions?) of developers
> that enjoy working with JSON(-LD)
>
> And also introduce them to the benefits of a more structures EAV model
> ie making merges cheap, enabling federation, allowing anyone to say
> anything about anything (ie decentralized features), discovery, follow
> your nose, indexing, allowing multiple things to exist in a document.
>
> And we can also learn from the tooling and network around JSON, how it
> makes parsing easy and ubiquitous, fast startup time, easy to work
> with arrays, easy to work with numbers
>
> If you want to create an MVP or be first to market, which is a valid
> approach, you probably will want to go down the JSON path, IMHO

Yep!

IMHO, "Data Source Names" (DSNs) should have been the marketing and
messaging focus from the get go.  Why? For the following reasons:

[1] Familiarity -- most application developers understand the notion of
DSNs, courtesy of ODBC and JDBC

[2] Data Modeling Impedance Issue -- these same developers also
understand the model impedance issue associated with the
Object-Relational-Model and SQL-DBMS based interpretation of the
Relational Model, hence the rise of ORM frameworks

Recently, I've been looking closely at platforms associated with NoCode
and LowCode memes where I engage using the "URLs as DSNs" rather then
"Linked Data" approach. Initial responses have been quite astounding [1].

Links:

[1] https://twitter.com/kidehen/status/1394425072404901898 -- Twitter
Thread with a NoCode platform player; not mention of RDF or "Linked Data
Principles" despite being all about their virtues

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog: https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog