Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 00:42, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> solutions, and you can put it in a data store, including redis, mongo,
>>> browser stores, virtuoso, quad stores etc.
>>>

>>> It is 100% about being abstract.
>>>

>> Why is it 100% about being abstract?
>>

>> Because that's how you negate politics.
>>
>> An Entity Relationship Graph is simply a technique for representing logic
>> i.e, things are related to other things in a variety of ways.
>>

>> ie what's the benefits and what are the possible abstractions?
>>

>> Abstraction ensures loose-coupling of:
>>
>> 1. Identity -- enabled using a variety of Identifier types
>> 2. Identification -- Credentials Documents
>> 3. Authentication -- TLS, OpenID Connect, either + WebID, NetID, etc.
>> (with or without delegation)
>> 4. Authorization -- RBAC (Role-based Access Controls) or ABAC
>> (Attribute-based Access Controls)
>> 5. Storage -- Filesytems or DBMS
>>
>> This trumps any notion of a golden spec that will be mass adopted by
>> programmers, developers, engineers (of any variety).
>>
>> Apps will always trump specs i.e., specs simply provide frameworks for
>> App interoperability. Specs cannot precede App development, as history has
>> demonstrated, repeatedly.
>>
>> There wasn't a spec for the Web prior to its explosion. Basically, It
>> exploded before the creation of a custodial organization like W3C aimed at
>> ensuring interoperability by way of infrastructure standardization.
>>

> OK, so two abstractions
>
> 1. Data model abstraction -- EAV + arrays -- ability to use URIs -- in
> some cases it's a Set, in some cases it's RDF, a semantic web for both
> humans and machines
>

> Basic RDF is primarily EAV with IRIs.
>
> It handles structured data representation in a manner suited to the
> complexity that exists in this realm.
>

> 2. Architectural abstraction -- clean separation of concerns, REST style
> architecture, includes many protocols via URIs.  e.g. its important that
> the file: URI system is part of the web space too, important for anything
> to be back compatible
>
> I'm absolutely convinced we dont have anything like this anywhere today,
> tho there have been some good efforts.
>

> I wouldn't speak in absolutes re non-existence. We (OpenLink) don't design
> any of our products without these separations at the core.
>

> I think we could make such a spec, which is based on existing web
> standards (though there now exists more than just one standard), in a few
> pages.
>

> I don't believe in making specs. They take too long, and they shouldn't
> precede apps i.e., they arise following the existence and establishment of
> apps, IMHO.
>
> We implement specs when they exist, since we have a vested interest in
> interoperability and data flow.
>

> Then layer on top newer things like web scale time commits and version
> control, all in a developer friendly way, that does not require a high
> learning curve
>

> Possibly, but apps are never the result of a public spec. This is where I

Yes, I've been making apps for quite some time now.  I perhaps have 20,000
hours of implementation experience.  That has lead me to hit many walls,
but I think the solutions are in sight.  I have a good idea of what can be
implemented, and what cant, and where the gaps lie

Writing a short spec would be so that others can do it, and that this group
has something to publish after working for quite some time on stuff.  There
actually seems two parts.  An architecture and an actual spec that conforms
to that architecture

I can make quite a lot of apps now, but it's more fun if lots of developers
are able to do so too.