A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

I just thought I’d mention that I thing the history
of WebID portrayed below is a simplification based on
projections due to lack of information.

I don’t have time to join the discussions here usually, but let me this once.

WebID ( https://webid.info/spec ) is a simple spec that is at the
foundation of Solid, which I am working on.

For those who want a big picture view I published a second
year PhD report that goes into details on the architecture
from a philosophical and mathematical perspective two years ago .

   https://co-operating.systems/2019/04/01/

I wrote the first blog post on at Sun Microsystems on foaf+ssl around 2008,
and the first paper I wrote has over 150 citations.
foaf+ssl was later renamed to  WebID-TLS which is much better.
TLS  was all that could work at the time with browser tech.

A proof is that it took 10 years to get to the point where credentials
could replace X509 certificates, and it is actually not quite there yet,
as we need RDF canonicalization, which will take another 3 years.

I am very much in favor of Manu Sporny’s work, and am intending to use
it when it is finished. I have been building on Manu’s work on HTTP signatures
here
  https://github.com/bblfish/authentication-panel/blob/main/proposals/HttpSignature.md#the-sequence-diagram

I don’t think one needs to adopt the whole project to get somewhere: luckily
as implementing all the 50+ did protocols would be a huge task in itself.

Currently I am writing a Solid web server as part of an EU project which
has the above mentioned techn built in, and as you can see from the description
credentials are part of the story.

 https://nlnet.nl/project/SolidControl/

Btw. the first web server I wrote was in play on
https://github.com/read-write-web/rww-play

This is a second version of it. I hope it will be a lot better.

All the best,

 Henry Story

> On 24. Jul 2021, at 15:19, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 at 23:51, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 at 18:54, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 15:42, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Foaf defines the concept of agent
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_Agent
>
> I'm unaware of the schema that defines agency...? Or the implications of the agency of things on other agents, etc.
>
> Yes, I think that's the idea, humans, groups, machines all having a digital representation, which was the basis of WebID.  I know you struggled to get behind that definition, Tim
> certainly did...  Back ~2013/4 there were a few concepts i was struggling to form an ecosystem around; but i had a particular sort of usecases in mind, that was far less part of broader discussions...
>
> Therein - things have developed - still seems the underlying concerns haven't been 'better considered'??  which has something to do with symmetry between real-world & legal semantics vs. cyber / online semantics (and eventually governance practices)
>
> Therein: Law has a concept of agency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_agency associated to the concept of a legal agent https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent
>
> back then the principal concept was to focus on WebID which in-turn also had two key elements;  a Web-ID being a HTTP URI associated to an RDF document;  the other, being an AUTH method such as WebID-TLS where the document is expressly 'baked' into the AUTH Instrument; but didn't seemingly support rich enough semantics to support inferencing around provenance of authority / causality, which led to disputes about 'identity credentials' vs. 'Web-ID' although this history is now difficult to inspect; given various advancements from the pre-credentials CG (ie: 'identity credentials' incubated in web-payments only) days...
>
> I think the webid and identity credentials started out with the same root.  But sometimes people problems get in the way.  The chair of the webid group behaved in a passive aggressive way to Manu & co. who at the time were putting an enormous amount of energy into WebID.  They were made to feel unwelcome and so they went away and created something themselves, with great success
>
> I would say that the main practical difference between the two is that Manu bet on JSON and the WebID community bet on Turtle.  Turtle was a brave bet in 2013 and required convincing the world, or a good chunk of it, to use it.  If it was a brave bet in 2013, it's a one in 2021.  JSON is going from strength to strength, the tooling is well ahead and accelerating, and even in RDF JSON-LD is the de facto deployment via schema.org.  You could say that in theory Linked Data is in theory serialization agnostic, but in practice it isnt, and defaults matter

> [...]

Henry Story

https://co-operating.systems
WhatsApp, Signal, Tel: +33 6 38 32 69 84‬
Twitter: @bblfish