Re: Microsoft’s Fluid Framework is now open source, comes to Office 365

On 5/20/20 5:07 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 22:37, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/20/20 3:28 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>     Long time, no post.
>>
>>     Quite an interesting article here on Microsoft's fluid framework
>>
>>     "In addition, *Microsoft is also open-sourcing the Fluid
>>     Framework and making the code available on GitHub*  within the
>>     next few weeks."
>>
>>     https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/19/microsofts-fluid-framework-is-now-open-source-comes-to-office-365/
>>
>>     Watch the video here
>>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10hXCKbfXAM
>>
>>     It looks like one small step towards making a read write web a
>>     reality
>>
>>     I tried signing up but got an authentication error, so it still
>>     seems quite early.  As Microsoft is not my personal operating
>>     system, perhaps some other might be better suited to try this out
>>     and report experiences
>>
>>     Thanks to spotter:  Kingsley!
>

>     With a bit of luck, re openness,  this framework could be extended
>     to further use existing Open Standards e.g., LDP, WebDAV, HTTP
>     URIs as Entity (rather than just Document) Identifiers, SPARQL
>     (which is delivered over HTTP anyway), etc..
>
> That could be an enormous step to bringing the RWW to a wider
> audience.  I suspect Azure has many of these features already, again,
> I'm not a user there.
>
> A quick web search showed webdav+azure in action
>
> https://support.workspace365.net/hc/en-us/articles/360013051434-Azure-Files-shared-through-WebDav-SSL
>
> I think WebDAV was originally a Microsoft influenced standard
>
>     Clearly, they already have websockets in use re live collaboration
>     etc..
>

> And hint of what's behind it?  Or are you referring to the realtime
> collaboration aspects?  I think that's been around in Microsoft
> products for a while

The realtime collaboration is Websockets which is part of .NET which is
how they build their stuff.

Xamarin is the vehicle for cross-platform .NET (originating from the
Mono work done eons ago lead by Miguel de Icaza).

[1]
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/xamarin/developing-real-time-communication-apps-with-websocket/

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com