Re: webid predicate

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 15:22, Story H.J. <H.J.Story@soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> This was raised a few years back, but not resolved.
> >>
> >> We dont have a predicate for webid itself.
> >>
> >> It would be useful in heterogeneous systems to write
> >>
> >> []  :webid <myPreferredURI> .
> >
> > by using <myPrefferedURI>  you are speaking of the thing, not the URI.
> > <-> is a function from String to URIRef, written mathematically as:
> >
> >     <->: String → URIRef
> >
> > This means it can be substituted with co-referring terms. So that's not
> what you want.
> > You'd need
> >
> > person :webid "http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card#me"^^xsd:anyURI .
> > to refer to the URI as a URI.
> >
> > What would be the domain and range of that relation?
> >
> > So, the use case is geared towards adding a URI to an existing system.
> Say having "webid" : foo in your git config (which hopefully could be
> integrated into git fully).  Or to put it in matodon, anything that allows
> you to tie key value pairs to an existing profile.  The benefit is to pull
> web 2.0 systems into linked data using follow your nose.
> >
> > As such I think the domain has to be anyURI.
>
> You can follow your nose with xsd:anyURI. It requires a special step -
> easy to program - but it won't be merged by
> reasoners, for which we may as well build now.
>

> > As for the range, I think it could be foaf Agent, but also there's a
> number of other agent type vocabs as of 2018 e.g. schema.org, as, ogp --
> im sure a few more, and more will emerge.  So I think range ought to be
> anyURI too?
> >

> >> Let me give you a use case.  In th popular web 2.0 federated
> microblogging service, mastodon, you are allowed to specify key value pairs
> to tie to your profile (nice!).  So what would be valuable would be to add
> a webid, with the appropriate label so that it is possible to follow your
> nose to the linked data universe.
> >>
> >> The question is where to put it.
> >>
> >> Strangely enough webid doesnt actually have an identity vocab.  Should
> we start one perhaps?
> >>
> >> It could also go on the cert ontology, tho not quite the right place.
> >>
> >> It could also go in the solid vocab, which seems kind of OK.  For
> various reasons it's better to have it on one place, I think.
> >>
> >> As a stop gap we could use the preferredURI predicate, tho unsure
> that's ideal ..
> >
> > I forgot where that is defined? How is it defined there?
> >
> > https://lov.linkeddata.es/dataset/lov/terms?q=preferredURI
>

> $ curl --silent  -H "Accept: text/n3"
> http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact | grep -A3 preferredURI
> :preferredURI a rdf:Property;
>     rdfs:label "preferred";
>     rdfs:comment """A string which is the URI a person, organization, etc,
> prefers that people use for them.""".
>

> It has an informal definition which states that the domain is a foaf:Agent
> and the range a String.
> That's Tim Berners-Lee's ontology. Seems to me that one could just

Here's a bit more background on that :

https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/QuotingURIs.html

Good suggestion, we could put it in pim : contact -- but who owns that
namespace.

Another thought would be to have https://w3id.org/ with webid -- but that
would be less consistent with what's existing in webid

I like nathan's suggestion of creating a new vocab.  Would need to look
into the logistics of publishing and maintenance tho.