Re: [ANN] Linked Data Templates: First draft and Call for participation

This could turn into a long discussion ;) But I'll try to keep it short.

There seems to be a culture clash between the niche and "academic" Semantic
Web and the mainstream web development.

Semantic Web is academic because it needs to be. SPARQL has an algebra not
because it tries to be fancy, but because it's the most precise way to
define its execution.

We need to treat Linked Data, and the Web in general, the same way. More as
science rather than engineering, which looks at the global picture (system
integration, distributedness, reuse etc.), also 10-20 years from now. An
ecosystem with 10,000s different APIs and formats, where stuff is cobbled
together with JSON, is not a scalable solution to that.

The Semantic Web has a steep learning curve, and its benefits are not
always direct or obvious. But not everyone has to be a coder to enjoy them
(think Knowledge graph metadata in your Google search). With the advance of
SW technology, future semantic developers might be implementing processes
and link systems buy building models and directing data flows, rather than
programming [1]. When this happens, the overall benefits will be great
enough for wider SW adoption (starting with the enterprise), without even
becoming mainstream.

Our mission is not to convince people of the benefits of RDF or SPARQL. Our
mission is to provide those who already use those technologies with a
uniform and non-ambiguous way to define applications and their operations.

http://in.pcmag.com/microsoft/112748/news/in-the-future-apps-will-be-programmed-in-models-not-code-mic