Re: [ANN] Linked Data Templates: First draft and Call for participation

Kingsley, Alfredo,

I could mention many reasons why we haven't reused Swagger or a different
API description format: 1) it's not RDF 2) it's not an ontology 3) no
standard way to embed SPARQL 4) depends explicity on HTTP etc.

Most importantly, Swagger is only a description, while LDT not only
provides a description, but also a method to evaluate that description in
order to produce a response [1]. So LDT ontology is more like a definition
of an API, rather than a description. I'm not aware of any other spec that
provides this kind of evaluation. You could compare it to SPARQL algebra
[2].

It's not that we decided one day that the world needs one more API
description format. No, LDT has evolved over many years of building SPARQL-
and Linked Data-native systems. Since it's useful to us, we think that by
extension it could be useful for other people working on such software.

[1] https://atomgraph.github.io/Linked-Data-Templates/#http-valuation
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#sparqlAlgebra