Re: Group Certificates and their utility or uselessness

Sorry,

I'm not sure if it came-across in my prior writings - so i figured i'd
follow-up with a more details overview.

The concept about using WebDHT within the context of leveraging the
social-relations of a person to secure their root identifiers; in the
manner I suggested may be developed as WebID-DHT | was to use produce a
methodology for the AUTH document that's similar to RAID [1], so the entire
AUTH data gets pulled in a decentralised way from a multitude of human
entities (running something akin to SoLiD [2] with an augmented AUTH
methodology, thereby decentralised storage authorities) who in-effect
cooperate as to provide the identity security layer that may support both
ID and Persona; in-turn, provisioning a sub-system that could be used at a
target in relation to Credential Documents, which provide external identity
validation attributes from other non-human agents.

I can envisage an array of ways to do this, and am currently working on
writing it up.  However, not being myopic - figured i'd flag it.  I can't
see a 'perfect' method, yet this seems to get into the philosophy area of
web-science; whereby the approach attempts to provide a flexible
methodology that allows a human to select how they wish to use it, subject
to UI and RWW Server (aka. SoLiD) Availability & Accessibility.  In-turn,
the methodology appears to relate to an issue that's recently been closed
on SoLiD[3] with an alternative resolution idea; yet, i'm not sure the
methodology utilised in that response effectively decentralises or provides
a 'human centric' solution to the underlying problem.

My considerations reflects work on this problem area for a while; some
feedback [4] was provided prior to credentials being established as a
separate group [5].  I think progress has been made via the credentials
works; yet i'm failing to see an integrated approach within the various
CG's and i also consider that the WebID group is perhaps most suitable for
amending existing works to be updated as to enhance solutions for these
problems.

I think it's also important to flag Melvin's work entitled WebCredits [6].
His basic ledger technology may have some application to this AUTH concept;
one consideration is that of a law-enforcement order (by the sovereign
government relating to the citizen, for example) where a request may be
made across the multi-factored social-framework storing access for a
persons data in a manner that is consistent with the rule of law for the
citizen subject to the court-request; being distinct from the concept of
access to any-such data being made available by default; via a global SNS
with a single "choice of law" [7] that beyond law-enforcement, seems to
have an array of other broader implications...

I also think it's important that any-such solution is made available under
a licensing scheme such as that employed by W3C; therein, the spirit of my
authorship of this document.

The UX experience i've considered looks like this:
http://webcivics.org/dev/ whereby
a user (where WebID-TLS, or some other 'quick' method isn't being used) can
enter their persona, the persona passcode, and the storage provider /
location.  Similar to an international bank transfer: which bank, what's
the branch, what's the account code.

What i'm not 100% in understanding is what happens if the SubjectAltName
notates a Machine (ie: Tim's Mac, or Holborn Family's TV) rather than a
person; where the person is identified by this proposed method, which is
then associated to the machine whether the machine (/machine account) is
owned by them or by someone else; nor do i understand what the implications
are to existing SoLiD Designs and whether this is a somewhat easy thing to
do, or whether it's going to be a major overhaul.

Beyond that; maybe i'm off-base - yet, i don't think we've figured out the
'human centric' WebID / AUTH mechanic yet.  I think it's important to have
a means that is provided support by physical contact with other humans and
other ID provider entities (i.e. post, banking, etc.); and i'm writing a
rather extensive piece on it, which i'm hoping to have produced to draft
within the next week or so.

In the meantime, if any feedback is available or interest in working with
me to flesh the concept out a little better, that would be thankfully
received.

Tim.H.
skype: sailing_digital

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID