Re: Simple Page-Owner Token (SPOT) Authentication

On 11/12/2014 05:47 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 12 November 2014 05:36, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org
> <mailto:sandro@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/10/2014 06:39 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>     Just wanted to highlight this interesting work from sandro
>
>     Thanks.   I should say the design came out of discussions with
>     Andrei Sambra, trying to avoid the problems with poor browser
>     support of client certificates.
>

> Sando, could you outline which part of certificate support you feel
> could be improved?  Is it the UI, or lack or coverage, or something else?

UI, as in previous email

> Surely SPOT would require browser modification to work in the browser?

Mostly, no.

> - How does the browser send header fields?  -- maybe AJAX

Of course.

> - How does the browser remember your URI, esp. cross origin? -- maybe
> stuff it somewhere like in web crypto

This bit is tricky, yeah.   Of course it doesn't really need to remember
it, but the user experience is much better if it does. Browser support
would be nice.  Without it, we can hack it with a tiny bit of code which
uses local storage, served up from some neutral domain like w3.org.
This is what webintents did, I believe.

> - How does the browser and your server maintain a shared secret? --
> maybe HTTPS

That's what the SPOT spec says, yes.

> Are you not replacing one set of problems with another?

Not that I can tell, of course I might be missing something.

> Would it maybe be an idea to focus on mockups and a design for a
> better UX with an extension?

Why don't you talk to the browser vendors and see how willing they are
to improve the client cert UI, even if you offered all the necessary
code patches or funded their engineers to work on it. (I'm quite serious
about this; others have reported hitting dead ends.   Honestly, I
haven't tried it, myself.)

       -- Sandro