Re: FYI - IoT investment

From: Henri Bergius <henri.bergius@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 22:26:12 +0200
To: cr <_@whats-your.name>
Cc: public-rww <public-rww@w3.org>
Hi,

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM, cr <_@whats-your.name> wrote:
> http://logic.sysbiol.cam.ac.uk/teaching/Node-RED_IoT-platform_Test.pdf
>
> lowish-hype overview of competing IOT platforms - just ignore part whede Node Red is annointed "The One" - only a month old and written to
> standpoint of API-consumers / devs

Node Red is pretty cool, but they seem to have a quite limited set of
components available, compared to the (by now outdated) listing at
http://noflojs.org/library/

We're doing something quite similar in this space with
http://flowhub.io/ but supporting multiple runtimes. These include:

* NoFlo (FBP implementation in JavaScript, both browser and Node.js)
http://noflojs.org/
* MicroFlo (FBP implementation running in microcontrollers) http://microflo.org/
* ImgFlo (FBP compatible interface for the GEGL image processing system)
* ...and others compatible with the runtime protocol
http://noflojs.org/documentation/protocol/

Here is one example of a IoT-ish project we did using the
NoFlo+MicroFlo combo, with NoFlo talking to web services to get data,
and then passing it to MicroFlo for LED visualization inside a bar
table http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/ingress-table/

Another fun project in this space: http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/noflo-ardrone/

--
Henri Bergius
Decoupling software, one piece at a time.