Re: Releasing RWW.IO

On 3 May 2014 10:56, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-05-03 10:24, Tim Holborn wrote:
> > WebID TLS certs may need browser support in future, but, i’m betting if
> the method works, it’ll likely get that browser support (one way or
> another).
> >
> > It does not provide an entire solution however, it is simply a
> constituent of a solution IMHO.
>
> If this project had started a year ago I would agree but it did actually
> started 5-6 years ago:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/foaf+ssl.html

Do note that a webid is just an HTTP URI that gives a user profile in
turtle.  Also note that facebook supports this, which is a billion
profiles, I think.  WebID can work with facebook connect if you want want
to store your key in your browser.

> The actual problem is that the W3C and the WebID folks didn't consider the
> fact that
> X.509-based client authentication already was widely established for
> things like e-government services
> and on-line banking but that these schemes practically without exception
> rely on proprietary
> browser plugins to get away from the limitations of TLS CCA.
>
> When I suggested doing something about this I immediately became a
> "Persona Non Grata".
> When Google did the same (through U2F) they became the undisputed king on
> consumer authentication.
> Yes, the world is indeed rather "sheepish" but Google is a fairly good
> shepherd.

"Persona Non Grata" where?   Anyone offering to to build a webid-u2f bridge
would be a plus, imho.