Re: web of "things"

On 2 May 2014 00:36, cr <_@whats-your.name> wrote:

> > An interesting web2 style implementation?  Appears their building
> middleware / apps...?
>  massive clusterbomb of marketing-speak + white-paper PDF links
>
> given that, chances are high there's a proprietary platform/server at its
> core to which you subscribe to get your products "on the web"
>
> "data about products will be able to be manually or automatically updated
> via sensors attached to the objects. Thus we get objects which can make
> suggestion to users based on anything, like location or time of day… "
>
> if you believe Techcrunch, it's all about providing suggestions to the
> user for maximizing their consumer eperience. all these devices phoning
> home and the massive surveillytics opportunity isn't even mentioned. i
> guess because all their readers are intelligent and there's no need to
> restate the obvious.
>
> wireless-routers, home/office's security cameras, sensors + meters are
> already "on the web".Coca-Cola machine status on telnet decades ago seemed
> silly/useless but there's been plenty of time for organic-demand based on
> real usefulness to bubble up, and cheap/lowpower/ubiquitous ARM/MIPS/Wifi
> HW to make it happen. which devices do you use which are not already on the
> web?
>
> convince users to upgrade. sell more centralized software-services. spy on
> them. profit

Yes, I think the web of things fits in really well with linked data.

Along with payments, realtime I think it's one of the areas of big
potential.

The reason I like the mix with linked data, is that five star LD can become
a self organizing system, much like the web.  The will bring huge elements
of unexpected reuse into play.