Re: Webizing Existing Applications

On 1/15/14 8:40 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 15 January 2014 14:22, Fabio Barone <holon.earth@gmail.com
> <mailto:holon.earth@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Melvin,
>
>     can you make specific examples of systems you see candidates for
>     webizing?
>     The wording is interesting but I couldn't identity any
>     (nation states? public transport? embedded devices?)
>

> Tim's example (note that acl's RWW is a webization of the UNIX file
> system)
>
> x 	webize(x)
> Hypertext 	WWW
> Data 	Linked data <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html>
> Top-down structured design 	Bottom-up ontology design
> Data Hiding 	Data Re-use
> Goto Considered Harmful 	Goto drives the economy
> unix file system 	ACL'd r/w linked data
> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloiudStorage.html>
> Large-scale structure: Hierachy 	Large-scale structure Scale free
> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Fractal.html>
>

> Some possible examples in free software:
>
> mindmup.com <http://mindmup.com>
> elgg.com <http://elgg.com>
> drupal.org <http://drupal.org>
> lorea.org <http://lorea.org>
> phpbb.com <http://phpbb.com>
In addition, looking beyond Web sites and services, there exists an
entire galaxy of applications, data formats, and data access protocols
that all benefit from the use of HTTP URIs as identifiers. A few simple
examples:

1. iCalendar (.ics) documents
2. vCard (.vcf) documents
3. Public Keys -- which makes SSH and Email signing a lot easier re.
incorporation into apps and services
4. HTML Tables
5. CSV documents
6. pkcs#7 documents -- which included public keys and signed content.

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com