Re: Web Identity 1.0 -- Draft Spec

On 1/9/14 11:04 PM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> If you decoupled the apps in Ods from the ods rww-ld storage
> environment, how would it work?
>
> Say, the addressbook, the briefcase, bookmarks are stored separately
> on one or more rww-ld storage services / accounts.
>
> Would people have to use your ods storage platform? (Understand their
> currently components?)

No!

ODS (OpenLink Data Spaces) is simply a collection of controllers for
producing 5-Star Linked Data and orchestrating I/O operations on said
data. That's it.

The Calendar, AddressBook, Briefcase, and other applications are simply
Linked Data defined using relevant ontologies. Here's a simple breakdown:

Calendar -- iCalendar (meaning: you have the ability to access this data
in RDF based Linked Data form or iCal)
AddressBook -- ditto but for vCard
Briefcase -- this is just HTTP/WebDAV with extensions for ACLs and the
ability to mount 3rd party folders via their APIs (e.g., Dropbox, Sky
Drive, Google Drive, Amazon S3 etc..).

> Say, I want to migrate my data to another platform, or say - I set-up
> a company, and want to migrate the r&d records to a separate data
> space, does it have to be ods?

No!

This game is all about letting Data flow between Data Spaces. ODS is
just about enabling you achieve these goals at a higher level, you can
do the same by hand to. Every ODS app has a high level Import/Export
feature while also supporting content negotiation against data
object/item URIs.

> Like a FAT hdd, do I have to use one? Can I go get another and easily
> transfer the records with the ability to easily navigate to the new
> locations?

Of course.

> What are the baseline "apps" for the "cloud storage" (rww-ld)
> platform, and what standards are required to make that work in a
> distributed environment.

Existing Web standards :-)

> I very much appreciate the enormous contributions made by the members
> of the list, and my "newbie" status ;) I've been working in it in
> different ways since 2000, but from different levels, and the
> standards kinda work is an exciting (with all humility) new step.
>
> All seems a bit like creating a new "Linux" in a way, same same but
> different ;)

I would say, this is modern Unix with a hypermedia twist, due to the
incorporation of HTTP URIs :-)

> If people are to get what we're trying to gift them, it can't rely
> upon an existing "hosted" id: it can of course be linked: but therein
> are the semantics of a freeman.
>
> Lots of food for thought.  Thank you.

Okay :-)

Kingsley