Re: web census

On 19 August 2014 16:23, Tim Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> building a thing called ‘web-civics’, was thinking about data, the issues
> with public data (or lack thereof).  thought perhaps a well organised
> census, perhaps supported by the likes of google, Facebook, schema.org
> might provide new data, for research in social-sciences areas that is
> otherwise missing.
>
> often, even the homeless have a Facebook account...
>
> thoughts?

If there could be a way for the census to be able to make sure people dont
use sock puppet identities or the sybil attack [1], I think that could be
useful.  But I've yet to work out how you can do that without a central
institution.  This becomes particularly useful when you are doing things
like giving out money, eg a basic income.  You would not want a single
person to claim a basic income twice, or more times.

Timbl uses preferredURI in his FOAF, so that may have a way of aggregating
a keyring of identities into a single preferred point of entry.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_attack