Re: [foaf-dev] Credentials Community Group

On 8/1/14 5:10 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2014-08-01 16:21, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 8/1/14 3:57 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>>> Since Google can put *hundreds of people* on developing various
>>> browser/platform goodies while we appear not having a *single*
>>> browser-developer at our disposal (although our task is *much more
>>> difficult* than supporting "super-provider" schemes like Apple,
>>> Google or PayPal), I think we are currently pretty much stuck.
>>>

>> -1000
>
> There's a simple explanation to why there are huge disagreements
> regarding this point:
>
> A bunch of people here want to build something based on the existing
> web technology and then get W3C's "Stamp of approval" as a part of
> their marketing of the software.  "We actually wrote the standard".

True, but I don't fall into that group. I simply prefer to have a good
standard, have applications/services built using the standard (pre or
post official stamp of approval).

> Traditional "standardizers" do rarely make their living on shipping
> software, they rather want to create cool technology that presumably
> can do things we couldn't do before.  The driving force can be
> anything from ego-boost to employer requests and occasionally altruism.

True.

> Whatever "camp" you belong to, I think there are reasons to think
> twice on how to proceed:
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2460020/android-grabs-record-85-percent-smartphone-share.html

So we know to support Android, as demonstrated by YouID [1].

> It is almost like when Microsoft won the desktop war; the competition
> didn't saw it coming and the rest is history.

Sorta. Key thing is to be pragmatic about standards and eventual
markets. Basically, that's a science on to itself.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1tkOWv1 -- About YouID for iOS and Android
[2] http://youid.openlinksw.com .

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com