Re: writes from Cimba to data.fm

I’m not sure how many WebID’s are out there in the world getting used in this fashion (i’m excluding FB open-graph, google login, etc.)  but looking back at history, i believe TimBL Made the first Web-Browser (not just the specification) and a ‘demo' that kinda worked.  from fable (didn’t use it personally) the first browser did read/write?  lots of videos about it, can’t recall the specifics..

reading the initial documentation; it worked when he demonstrated it to others, and this was important for him both personally; and in “proof" (the value) “of" (his) “work".  I also imagine it’s important in terms of development also; to test with an appropriate pool of users from many walks of life; as to identify social, cognitive and other influences surrounding the network effect.  what is meaningful to lay-people, technologists, all different levels, graphic designers, gamers, twitter gurus, etc.  We’re simply not able to perform these forms of ‘tests’ yet IMHO, and whilst frustratingly close - i guess it just gets down to coordinating between distributed resources, critical-path, etc.

I feel quite strongly about the idea of using a Username/pass for a user-account, but issuing a x.509v3 WebID Cert to the machine - but it’s seemingly a academic discussion until we get enough users either engaging it the models successfully - or complaining about process orientated flaws / failed ‘business processes’ / functionality concepts…

From what i understand; there’s a desire to get a user-base up and going.  In so many documents it speaks of how quickly the web ‘took-off’, which then brought about the need and resources to get the technologies to the next levels.  My hope in seeking to get the starting-point to a more inclusive level; is about the engagement methods used for consumer applications of RWW / WebID / LDP and related technologies.

Whilst i understand the differences between POC, Standards, Free Software and Commercial Software one might consider where the world would be if we were waiting for someone to build the first working web-browser as the focus was purely on standards.  I’m a big believer in free-software as setting the standards.

With relation to [1] and [2] i guess the expectations around how to move forward are a tad fuzzy to me…  I’d like to send examples to people who have technical influence in projects, communities and other formative groups that relate to uptake of this technology, but we’re still missing products that are user-friendly.  building a FOAF record, in turtle - a good example.

i understand we can always use more developers; but we’ve got to have ‘things’ available to demonstrate why they need to learn the difference between a relational DB and a graph based system.  Methods, opportunities to ‘spark interest’ and stimulate innovation beyond the core groups who have some highly unusual interest (in the context of the entire web user base) in these new technologies for specified reasons.

it’s not a gift till you give it to others who value it, or perhaps it’s not a good gift till that occurs.  but since these things have existed for so many years, well…  I figure, once the next steps are done HOPEFULLY the solutions and people involved will have a scalability problem.  we need to foster better ways to grow the origin community, if that makes sense (IMHO).

Cimba is so close to awesome.  what do we need to get an issues list that incorporates a reasonable needs analysis for it; and rww.io / data.fm so that the software lifecycle can be tested by others, far more easily.

TimH.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_XaJ97rF0
[2] http://crosscloud.org