Re: [community] from W3C….Fwd: Proposal: "User" header field

On 18 July 2013 20:28, Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> the straightforward way would be to create another authz scheme. BUT the
> most important question is, what do you want to achieve?
>
> 1) You just need a hint? So you don't rely on this data for access
> control. Use any header you want.
> 2) You want to control access to a resource. This requires
> trustworthy/authenticated identity data. Here the obvious way is an OAuth
> access token (authorization header, BEARER scheme). In your specific case,
> it might be required to even specify the tokens format. JSON web tokens
> would be the right choice in my opinion.
>
> Why does you concept require the user id to be a URL?

Hi Thorsten, the concept does not require a URL, but it needs a header that
does not *forbid* a URL, and this was the issue with "From".  The reason is
that many people host user profiles on a web URL, so we would like to be
inclusive of that group of people.

I'm not 100% familiar with all the latest changes to OAuth / OpenID
Connect, but if there is something in those specifications that could be
reused to send an identity to a server, and you could point me to what to
read up on, I'd be grateful.