Re: rel="meta" or rel="acl" ? was: Web Access Cntrl Spec?

On 10 August 2013 14:23, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On 10 August 2013 10:56, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> rel="meta" was

>>> We need to get those who have implementations to agree on this first. :-)
>>>
>>> And I am not sure what forum is available where we can agree on edits to
>>> the acl ontolgy or the http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl wiki
>>> page,
>>> so I am sending this mail a bit widely around. The WebAccessControl wiki
>>> page suggests that the RWW Community Group is the place to discuss this.
>>>
>>> I suppose for the moment the WebAccessControl wiki page plays the role
>>> of a
>>> spec. It says:
>>>
>>> [[
>>>   The client follows, for example, an HTTP header field:
>>>
>>>   Link: <meta/profile.meta>; rel=meta
>>> ]]
>>>
>>> Alexandre Bertails once argued that meta is too general, and that this
>>> should
>>> be an "acl" link. Neither "acl" nor "meta" are registered in the iana
>>> document
>>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml
>>> which is I think where this needs to be registered.
>>> See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.1
>>>
>>> For us to register this we should probably have something a bit more
>>> spec like than the wiki page.
>>>
>>> I also would like to add to the ontology
>>>  - support for regular expressions on urls
>>>  - a acl:include relation to include acls from other documents
>>>

>> I'm happy to change implementations if there's a good reason to.
>>
>> However, we've been using rel="meta" since at least 2009
>>

> That's not a good enough reason not to change it. :)
>

>> My understanding of the ACL system was that is was a metaphor for UNIX
>> style inodes which provide meta data about a file.  While the ACL is in
>> there, there can be other information that is fundamental to the resource
>> too (or we may wish to add some later).
>>

> The advantage of using rel="acl" is that if you have a binary file (i.e. a
> picture), you can use rel="acl" for access control policies and rel="meta"
> to provide more information about it.

Sure, I see the advantages, even though it may be one round trip more, it's
a change I could live with.

As registration of rel="meta" has already begun, it's up to supporters of
rel="acl" to join the process and try and achieve consensus.

As henry says, I'd suggest continuing this discussion in the RWW community
group, and perhaps on #dig irc, as many of the relevant people are already
there.