Re: telconf 07-11-2012 : what is webid

On 11/15/12 4:31 PM, Alexandre Bertails wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 12:39 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 11/15/12 12:14 PM, Andrei SAMBRA wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Kingsley Idehen
>>> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:

>>>     So you infer that URIs belong to IETF and URLs to the W3C? At the
>>>     same time you assume this is architecture with real
>>>     interoperability in mind.
>>>
>>>     You are making an important point here, quite profound. I really
>>>     need to know if this is the view shared by others.
>>>
>>>     The most powerful virtue of the Web is its interoperability. That
>>>     virtue is inextricably linked to URI abstraction.
>>>

>>> No, my point is that WebID URIs use HTTP(S) schemes. The point is to
>>> avoid ftp:// WebIDs (or any other scheme) in order to simplify the
>>> spec.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>>

>> Abstraction != Difficult.  Please understand that the principle in play
>> re. AWWW is "deceptively simple" which is a function of good
>> abstraction. URI abstraction is a fine example of said principle. This
>> is what makes the Web work.
>
> You're confusing "difficult" and "complex".

I am not.

> By being too abstract and general, you artificially increase the
> complexity of WebID by implicitly asking support for many different
> implementations.

Wrong!

> By narrowing-down the definition to very precise concepts, you define
> the minimal set of expectations that the system must support.

You can achieve that without compromising the AWWW.

> Also, examples are not acceptable as definitions, because they don't
> say anything about expectations.

And when did I infer to you that an example is a definition?

> You need to define the invariants of
> the system.

What are the invariants of the World Wide Web? The very system used by
the entire world.

> That was the concern of the people who set the definition for WebID at
> TPAC.

Not wanting to go backwards, instead of forwards. The conclusion at TPAC
were simply wrong albeit well intended.

> I don't understand why people are loosing time with changing the
> definition.

Because any definition of WebID that includes specific references to
hash URIs and Turtle is broken. Simple as that.

Kingsley