Re: AccessControl : update + inference

right - of my questions

1) how does Bob send his credentials
2) how does Alice's web server check them

Cookies, client-side SSL certs, unguessable URIs, client IP, http
basic/digest/bearer auth, etcetera answer question 1.

WebID, Persona, OpenID, etcetera answer both question 2 and the extra question:

3) how does Bob obtain his credentials in the first place.

the wiki page we're discussing is, or at least was, mainly about:

4) how does Alice's server remember which credentials should give
access to which actions.

Those questions 3 and 4 can be related if the credentials Bob uses
come from Alice's server. OpenID, Persona and WebID are interesting in
that they use credentials that Bob's server issues, and Alice's server
merely points at Bob's server when representing which credentials give
access to which actions, and that is then finally how
identity/authentication comes into play. But to me the credentials as
such are more "basic" than the identity; at the time of the request
it's the credentials that give access, whether or not the client
obtained them in a "legitimate" (in terms of identity) way.