Re: Interesting Identity & Privacy Presentation

On 8 November 2012 19:05, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

>  On 11/8/12 12:16 PM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
>
> Kaliya has been running the semi-annual Internet Identity Workshop<http://internetidentityworkshop.com/>for a long time.
> At each of these workshops, at least one person typically comes up with a
> session titled "What is Identity" or similar.
> Also at each of these workshops, there are always LOTS of sessions on
> (very diverse) technical approaches to "do identity" on the Internet.
> So over the years, Kaliya's been exposed to many different ways of
> thinking about online identity, on the business, legal and technical levels.
>
>  If you want to "drill down into the details" and "build systems that
> have consistent behaviour", then that's valuable, but you immediately
> commit yourself to certain assumptions which not everybody would agree with.
> E.g. you may commit to a worldview that all online identity things are
> best done with Linked Data and WebID, which is great, because it's so
> tightly based on core web principles, and decentralized, and etc.
> But it's not the only way to do identity online, over the years there have
> been so many different approaches.
>
>  So I believe Kaliya's intention behind this presentation was indeed to
> remain on a high enough level to still say interesting things about
> identity on the Internet, without making commitments to any specific "this
> is how you do it".
>

> Yes, in a nutshell. We have to establish high level concepts before elving
> into implementation details. Whenever aforementioned sequence back to
> front, we simply end up with yet another unintended and utterly distracting
> war around implementations details.
>
> The concept of identity is just that, a concept. It transcends platforms.

I think this makes sense.

You can talk about high level without drilling into the details.

But it's harder to talk about the details without describing the high level.

In a perfect world you can connect on both levels.

Identity on the web will ineluctably come down to a string of characters
used to identify someone, or something.  The alignment of web scale
identity is about the way that string of characters is transformed across
context (if at all).