Re: Comments about the RDFa representation in Pingback

On May 22, 2012, at 13:21 , Dominik Tomaszuk wrote:

> On 22.05.2012 12:45, Toby Inkster wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 May 2012 11:23:41 +0200
>> Ivan Herman<ivan@w3.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> RDFa does not take the @value into account.
>>
>> It does in HTML; not in XHTML.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-in-html/#additional-rdfa-processing-rules
>>
>> "the HTML5 value attribute must be utilized when generating output. If
>> value is detected, it must override and be processed according to the
>> rules for content."
>>
>> I believe this rule was added to cope with the<data>  element (not sure
>> of<data>'s current status in HTML5 - it's been in and out of favour):

>> 	He is<data property="foaf:age" value="18">eighteen</data>.
>>
>> ... but the HTML+RDFa spec doesn't limit @value processing to<data>,
>> so it seems to me it should work for<input>  too. (And, interestingly,
>> <param>...)
> So an example in [2] isn't correct.
> How it can be solved? Ivan, you're member of RDFa Working Group. Do you think that support for (X)HTML forms should be added in RDFa processing rules?

First of all, adding something to XHTML is essentially out of the question, the work is to be published as Rec in, hopefully, two weeks or so. Any such change at this point would mean about 6 months delay. The price would be huge in many respect.

As Toby says in his other mail, there is the theoretical possibility to add/modify processing rules for HTML5, but we should keep that to the strict and absolute minimum. And, when it involves elements and attributes that are also valid XHTML ones, then we should try to avoid any difference. The additional changes with value and time are related to the additional HTML5 features, and the current changes have been motivated by a major use case, namely schema.org's structures and their usage of vocabularies. In general, even if RDFa+HTML5 is not yet a standard, it needs stability, now that the core RDFa will become a standard soon.

Cheers

Ivan

> [2] http://www.w3.org/community/rww/wiki/Pingback#Writing_a_Pingback_Service
>
> Best,