Re: Using "Punning" to Answer httpRange-14

On 5/16/12 4:53 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 15 May 2012, at 22:03, Henry Story wrote:

>>> +1000...
>>>
>>> To speak about any *preferred* style of URI in context of AWWW is eternally broken.
>> At the logical layer the types of URIs make no difference. At the pragmatic layer
>> they do. And there it's useful to know what the cost of each type of URI is.
>> #uris are easy to understand and work with: no need for redirects and access to
>> metadata. 303s may be useful for large datasets it seems - well that's ok, as
>> people who have those will be able to invest in the infrastructure needed.
>> (and perhaps have the energy to work to a better solution than 303, if such is needed)
> The 207 proposal seems a good compromise to reduce the redirects that 303 requires
>
>    http://www.w3.org/wiki/TagIssue57Responses#New_HTTP_2xx_status_code
>
> as specified in more detail in the email here by Kjetil Kjernsmo
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2012Mar/0333.html
>
> (I think I suggested the same not long ago).
>
> Thinking about this a bit makes me think it does not quite solve the problem with large
> number of URIs referring to resources  because you'd still need to dereference each URI
> if you wanted to make sure you were gettings its canonical representation. So you'd just
> save one request on the initial fetch. All the other requests would have to have something
> like an etag in the header and a request to get the body unless it changed.

Yep!

If we just stick with URIs and the expectation that Linked Data Servers
understand Linked Data principles, likewise for Linked Data clients, it
all works out. We only get into trouble when we try to bend the rules on
the client or server sides en route to reducing developer effort on
either side.

A Linked Data Client should just expect de-referencable URIs that
unambiguously Name things.

A Linked Data Server should publish unambiguous de-referencable URIs
which requires it to implement proper handling of resolution and
disambiguation.

A Linked Data user (like any other Web user) should just follow
hyperlinks to resources of interest, share those resources with others
(if they choose) via hyperlinks, make and (optionally) share new
resources via RWW oriented Linked Data Data Clients etc..

Elsewhere:
An RDBMS user doesn't have to understand the inner implementation level
workings of Primary Keys and Foreign Keys. The RDBMS engine either has
this capability or it doesn't. Likewise, a Spreadsheet either supports
Named Cells or it doesn't etc..

AWWW handles the problem. We just need more apps out there demonstrating
this reality. Negating the system and its inbuilt axioms isn't the
answer, re. punning.

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_punning -- speaks for its self :-)

Kingsley