Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 3/23/12 4:42 AM, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
> hi,
>
> just to have my 2 cents deposited somewhere :
>
> tldr : keep current tag-suggestion until a fundamentally better solution
>         is found as most current change suggestions will only make it
>         different but not better.
>         remember changing the status quo might decrease confindence and
>         many things need be rewritten.
>

> as far is could find out the two arguments for doing a change (again)
> are performance and complicated hosting (really send 303).
> i personlly can't really feel for these two arguments.
> If performance comes up as an argument i tend to think that there's
> something wrong in the overall setup of the application. if you are
> a google robot coder, you are semi excused, because one should realize
> the redirect pattern after a couple of resources and go for these, if
> the redirect is taking "too long".
> when it comes to hosting and providing such resources, what do we need?
> a couple of linked data plugins for max 5 systems (i'm currently working
> on a tomcat solution).
>
> wkr turnguard

+1

There remains a bizarre and endless desire to keep Linked Data and the
Semantic Web in a permanent state of gobbledegook :-(

This suggestion is broken, it puts burden on a community that doesn't
understand structured data represented using graphs, let alone graphs
that leverage hyperlinks.

The issue of Name and Address disambiguation remains lost and a point of
eternal confusion.

We have Information Resource (in a generic sense re. all Web accessible
Resources). We also have Descriptor Resources which are a subClassOf
Information Resources that specifically describe a Named Subject using
URIs. Resources have URLs while description subjects have Names. HTTP
enables us disambiguate Subject Names and their Descriptor Resources via
two mechanisms:

1. implicit -- using hash URI
2. explicit -- using 303 redirection when slash URIs are used as subject
names.

This suggestion is DEAD and a complete waste of time.

I really wish folks could just do some computer science studies re. data
structures, data access by reference etc.. and then re-read the AWWW and
then stop attempting to mess it all up!

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com