Re: Representing email messages in JSON-LD

Hi,

(CCeding sioc-dev mailing lists)

On 20 July 2012 14:30, nil <nil.niklas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so if I understand correctly, the #MailMessage doesn't have any
> additional properties, so by using purely the SIOC types I would lose
> some information from the headers.

Take into account that SIOC is about social communication, not files.
Therefore the semantics of those low-level properties are not really
useful at that abstraction level, but actually used for creating some
others more interesting for the social interaction. The business is
different, just that.

> Some of the linking information
> (References, In-Reply-To -> Message-Id) could be retained by creating
> #Container objects. But that would require the converting system to
> have access to all previously received messages.

For instance, that raw data is retained as the sioc:has_reply
property: http://rdfs.org/sioc/spec/#term_has_reply

Even you can get some upper level semantics of that data, as form of
sioc:next_by_date and so on.

See an output example:
http://swaml.berlios.de/demos/sioc-dev/2007-May/post-641.rdf

> So right now I like the Nepomuk approach better, to have a class per
> header plus a generic MessageHeader class for additional headers.
> How are such situations usually resolved? There now seem to be two
> classes (sioc:MailMessage, nmo:Message) that both have the same
> purpose. Is there a way to "combine" them, so that software
> understanding one, but not the other can take the information it
> understands and ignore the rest?

There are two classes, right, but their semantics are different. On
the one hand you have sioct:MailMessage (or even sioc:Post) which
refers to the email message as, let's say, can be viewed as an email
in a mail client. On the other hand nmo:Message models the basic raw
data described by RFC4155 (headers and so on). Obviously both classes
can be combined depending of what you need.

> My brain hasn't fully adapted to RDF yet, I'm shooting a bit in the dark here :)

One basic rule if you come from programming: a RDFS/OWL class doesn't
represent the same than in Object-Oriented Programming does.

Cheers,