Re: Introducing Myself and PeerPoint

On 17 July 2012 01:01, Poor Richard <poor.ricardo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi RWW team,
>
> I'm Poor Richard, new to the group and W3C community. I'm a writer these
> days with some old (but pretty varied) IT experience in a corporate LAN/WAN
> distributed computing and web 1.0 environment. I used to design and code
> some intranet, web, and database apps but I haven't fired up a code editor
> or IDE in about a decade. All I can say I've retained is a general
> familiarity with the development process and some internet and www
> fundamentals. Now I'm retired and what I mainly do is write.
>
> Lately I've started working on something which is a bit of a stretch called"PeerPoint: An Open
> P2P Requirements Definition and Design Specification Proposal."
>
> PeerPoint is an embryonic requirements definition. What is different about
> it, as far as I can tell, is that it aims to encompass all of web 3.0 in
> scope, starting at the topmost level of user requirements, predicated on
> the urgent imperatives for greater social justice, sustainability, and an
> open society. In short, PeerPoint aims to describe the full compilation of
> applications we desperately need for a new economy and a new culture. The
> big corporations like Google and Facebook are working towards greater
> enclosure (more walled gardens), more user surveillance, more user
> exploitation, etc. so the internet actually becomes more centralized and
> less free by the month. The internet is not getting any 99% or OWS
> friendlier. An internet platform for implementing a fair and sustainable
> society must come from the indy FOSS community, and it must be designed to
> be a free (or very low cost) turnkey commodity for masses of generic,
> non-technical internet citizens.
>
> "Master plans" like PeerPoint are generally considered naive in FOSS land
> because non-commercial development is self-motivated and anarchistic. Thus
> few have taken on the job of planning beyond their own technical spheres of
> interest. And nobody (as far as I can tell) in the FOSS world has been
> assigned or taken it upon themselves to define and aggregate the user
> requirements over all major application domains under one framework. Not
> finding a coherent, universal mapping between the people's needs and
> current technical capabilities, I appointed myself and anyone I can recruit
> to do this.
>
> PeerPoint is not intended to replace existing requirements definitions or
> specifications but rather to complement them. It is intended to be a
> cross-reference between user needs and the most appropriate solution sets.
> It is meant to connect dots and fill in gaps in the hope of more rapid
> convergence and more comprehensive, seamless solutions. Because the
> resource in shortest supply for Planet Earth is time, not programmers.
>
> I'm not lobying to make PeerPoint a RWW project, but everyone is warmly
> invited to check it out and to collaborate if the spirit moves you.

> [...]

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself (and PeerPoint) and
welcome to the RWW Group!

I'd encourage as many people as possible, to go through this excellent
document, above.

It's ambitious, but I really do think it's something we can hope to build.
I'm going to go through in more detail and provide some feedback shortly.