Re: Proposal: Web Federation Protocol

On 7/2/12 6:33 AM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> Good idea..
>
> I think there would be several topics..
> 1. "Federation" in the sense of basic decentralized linking: HTML
> Hyperlinks, Linked Data.
> 2. "Federation" in the sense of notifying parties that they have been
> linked, or that something has changed: Pingback.
> 3. "Federation" in the sense of pushing the actual changes:
> OStatus/Pubsubhubbub, Google Wave. Maybe also OData and XDI.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to apply Pubsubhubbub to Linked Data.
> By that I mean that a subscriber to a Linked Data document would
> receive updates with actual changes to that document, rather than
> simply being notified that "something has changed" .

Yes, that's been implemented for a while [1].
> Do you know of any technology that can do this, i.e. push Linked Data
> changes to a subscriber?
> In this post <http://blog.superfeedr.com/pubsubhubbub-0-4/>, it is
> argued that Pubsubhubbub should support arbitrary content.

Links:

1. http://apassant.net/2010/04/18/sparql-pubsubhubbub-sparqlpush/ --
sparqlPUSH
2. http://code.google.com/p/sparqlpush/ -- project
3. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/VirtPubSubHub -- ODS
implementation (as is always the case, the implementation is old and a
little neglected due to community inactivity re. this form of
notification services) .

Kingsley

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen