Re: Using Twitter as an IdP space for WebID

On 10/29/11 6:31 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley,
>
> this is a good Idea but I would call this TwitterID and not WebID.

No, its an InterWeb scale identifier that's verifiable using the WebID
verification (authentication) protocol.

<http://twitter.com/kidehen#this> is a URI associated with an object
accessible from Twitter's Web accessible data space.

> What is the connection to linked data ?

The aforementioned URI is de-referencable. It resolves to a structured
representation it the URI referents description.

> I thought WebID was FOAF + SSL.

No.

FOAF is an option re. vocabulary that defines the structure of a profile
oriented data objects. You can use a FOAF based object craft a data
structure that provides relations that ultimately connect a WebID to a
Public Key or even an X.509 certificate hash i.e., Fingerprint .

Failing to separate concept, data representation syntax, and data
serialization formats is still making matters a little confusing re.
Linked Data.

> Or is WebID about promoting the use of X.509 certificates in general ?

No, it is about verifiable identity via identifiers via exploitation of:

1. existing InterWeb infrastucture
2. trust logic and structured data representation.

> You are using http://twitter.com/{your-twitter-handle}#this
> Are you again creating URIs in other peoples namespaces ?

How can I create a URI in other people's namespaces associated with
their data spaces? I am a URI to identify a chunk of network accessible
data in a manner that's distinct from the representation of said chunk
of data.
>   Maybe you should
> omit the hashtag in the subject alternative name.

Of course note, a chunk of data (i.e., a data object) is endowed with
the following fundamental characteristics:

1. an Identifier (a URI)
2. Representation (a graph pictorial in EAV/SPO triple form)
3. an Access Address (typically a function specific identifier e.g., a URL).

I hope this clears up matters for you :-)

Kingsley