Re: NAF v. SNAF - where is this being addressed?

Ed - see my reply to Mike Kifer re: what I was asking about SNAF - I
make the main point - these are useful starting places, but don't
constrain what an eventual charter needs to say.
  More specifically, I think some of your points below related to what
I called in a different thread the difference between a "Web Rules
Langauge" and a "Semantic Web Rules Language" -- I've argued these
aren't identical.  If what we want is a syntax for the exchange of
rule sets (i.e. I can write a set, you can read them and use them as
they are) then IMO we should build an XML schema for rules and have a
very simple semantics underlying it (so as not to overconstrain
solutions).  On the other hand, if the goal is a distributed set of
rules with the ability to link to other sets, reuse parts of other
business processes, cut and paste one set of rules and edit for
another application, etc. (which, as reflected in the OWL FAQ [1] was
the hard part of going from traditional KR to OWL) then the task is
harder, and NAF/SNAF in particular becomes trickier to apply and we
need to be careful about how we delineate the goals.
  btw, I think the jury is still out as to whether a Web Rules
Language or a Semantic Web Rules Language is preferable and to be
chartered - but if it is the latter, we have to resolve what we're
trying to do more carefully.
  -JH

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/08/owlfaq.html

--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	 	  301-405-2696