Re: Adjusting the Issues List

At 6:13 pm -0400 11/6/05, Boley, Harold wrote:
>I think the seven issues listed in the Report provide
>a reasonable starting point for scoping the WG:
>
>http://www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/report/#issues
>
>One way to moving forward is to find out which issues
>are (how) important to whom, thereby adjusting the
>above list: Adding, removing, or modifying certain
>issues, and roughly prioritizing the list (keeping
>the limited resources of the WG in mind).
>
>In particular, Anthony Finkelstein's first paragraph
>would imply giving high priority to this listed issue
>(probably modified):
>
>3.5. Tagged Co-Existing Rule Languages

Yes. The 'practical' environment of rule languages is complex. There
are the language, its semantics, rule engines capable of interpreting
the language (in accordance with a semantics), rules, the business
resources from which the rules have been derived, rule sets, rule set
selectors, definitions of the resources or contexts to which the
rules should be applied, 'report' definitions, and so on ...

Standardised metadata capable of distinguishing and permitting the
interoperation of rule languages at this level seems to me to be an
important step forward, beneficial to industry, and one we could
achieve with significant but not excessive effort.

>His second paragraph would imply to add constraints
>as a high-priority subclass of rules.

Those interested in this area might want to look at one of our use cases

http://www.systemwire.com/FpML/2004/FpML-4-1/validation/2004-07-19/rules-english-eqd.html

The validation rules for the Financial Product Markup Language (FpML)

>-- Harold
>
>Dr. Harold Boley
>Adjunct Professor at UNB, Faculty of Computer Science
>Leader, Semantic Web Laboratory
>Institute for Information Technology - e-Business
>National Research Council of Canada
>46 Dineen Drive
>Fredericton, NB, E3B 9W4
>Phone: +1-506-444-0385