Re: Subject: 3 - Addressing NAF

At 17:33 +0200 8/23/05, Dieter Fensel wrote:
>Dear Jim,
>
>I think we agree here. Neither so-called open world assumption or so-called
>closed world assumption scale on a world wide scale when taken naively.
>OWL-and its so-called open world assumption brakes on world wide scale
>since simply inhering artificial equalities whenever a new fact is
>met somewhere
>on the web that interacts with some (value or cardinality) restrictions. This
>is roughly as reticules as to infer the truth of negated knowledge under NAF
>simply because your crawler failed to find the positive fact. Inference on
>the web whether it is called open or closed world needs the notion of scope.
>
>And I agree, if I had worked in their marketing department I would have
>neither called it CLOSED world nor negation as FAILURE. Scoped negation
>and explicit contextualization sound much nicer.
>
>	-- dieter

Well, I think you're wrong on the OWL thing you mention there - shows
a misunderstanding of the open nature of OWL - but that's okay
because I don't see this list as needing to be used for that
discussion (I was under the impression, despite most of the recent
email, that our goal was discussin a WG charter, not doing research)
-- I think you and I are in agreement about the goals now, and I
think the idea of referring to things in the charter as "Scoped
negation and explicit contextualization" makes sense
--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	  	  301-405-2696