Re: Why we work on RSP

Hi Haroon,

I would like to give a try answering your questions:

1. RDF is good at interoperability. Consider the use case of stream data
integration. There can be two different situations:
a. When your data and the others have already been described using a
shared, common ontology (e.g., Semantic Sensor Networks ontology [1]), you
basically need minimal/no integration effort.
b. When your data is in RDF but is described in different ontologies: you
can use some off-the-shelf stream integration techniques like from [2],
which uses the R2RML standard as a mapping language.

2. RDF is good at reasoning. On top of RDF, there is OWL, which is an
ontology language for additional inference over your stream data. TrOWL is
an example of an OWL reasoner for stream services [3].

3. RDF is good for the Web. RDF by design is a data model for the Web.
Everything is represented by URIs, can ideally be dereferenced via HTTP,
and can be linked with other URIs [4]. Thus, the power of the Web is
inherited to RDF. As an example, you need not stream complete description
of some resources. You can just use URIs in your stream, and the complete
descriptions can be dereferenced on demand depending whether your data
stream consumers are interested in.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Fariz