Re: AOM with APA at TPAC?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:22 AM Léonie Watson <lw@tetralogical.com> wrote:

> On 08/09/2019 11:07, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > 1.) is existing AOM and API architecture suitable for immersive Web or
> > should AOM just be restricted to Web Components?
>
> The AOM isn't intended to be restricted to Web Components. As far as
> it's been implemented, it can already be used anywhere ARIA can be applied.
>
> One of the future phases of the AOM intends to introduce the ability to
> add virtual nodes to the accessibility tree in the browser. These
> virtual nodes need not have a corresponding node in the DOM tree.
>
> One of the use cases for this phase, is the ability to create a virtual
> branch of the accessibility tree for the purpose of providing
> accessibility semantics for things like the <canvas> element, which is
> where the AOM may well be particularly useful to the WebXR space.
>
> Léonie.

Everything Léonie said!

My main concern would be that the existing ARIA vocabulary/existing AT
interaction patterns would be too limiting for UX designed for an immersive
environment (orthogonal to the AOM API design), which Janina touches on
below.

> 2.) Do we need bi-directionality for good XR support? Semantics can be
> > consumed by user agents but may be modified in an imersive environment
> > and change as interactions are happening. Like React is data driven, XR
> > semantics may be interaction or results driven.
> >
> > 3.) What would be the ideal architecture to support XR accessibility? We
> > seem to be currently aiming at patching XR with current and even legacy
> > AT, so that architecture may be temporary, or move away from browser and
> > API interactions towards AT being embedded in an immersive environment.
> > What does "good" look like in this situation?

These are really interesting and important questions - I don't know enough
about XR to start answering them.

> 4) Are Object Oriented approaches to accessible XR preferable to
> > declarative or author applied semantics?
>
> > Please confirm whether 11:00 Thursday works.

It's open for me, although if the topic is primarily going to be XR I'm
unclear why this would be a separate session from the proposed plenary
session <https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2019/SessionIdeas#XR_Accessibility>
on Wednesday.