Urgent: RTT note in WebRTC 1.0

Colleagues:

WebRTC 1.0 is expected to reach CR within days. As discussed at our
joint meeting during TPAC[1], we are in agreement to incorporate an
Informative Note section in their specification highlighting the
importance of supporting a specific (IETF specified) Real Time Text
(RTT) protocol which is being mandated through regulatory action for telecommunications carriers
in the U.S. primarily in support of communications with individuals who
are deaf or hard of hearing, and especially for their ability to
communicate with emergency services.

At the same time we are mindful that WebRTC needs to support additional
real time text use cases which might clash with the IETF specified
approach.

We are seeking language, therefore, that captures existing support for
RTT as well as the expected ability for future WebRTC specifications to
also support additional use cases.

Herewith is the language proposed by WebRTC for our consideration:

----

--

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow