Re: CAPTCHA Update--An extended opportunity

Dear John, All:

I've been mulling further what we might harvest from John's issues lists
referenced below for the current CAPTCHA draft in APA. As time permits,
I am willing to go item by item through John's list to see whether an
additional phrase somewhere in the current draft could further clarify
the impact for persons living with COGA situations.

However, when I think of doing that I run into a problem I don't know
how to solve. Here's my problem.

The paper never says "some people" have this or that problem. We never
say some people have trouble with visual CaPTCHA, or with audio CAPTCHA.
We're always more precise than that. We say, and this is a direct
quote:

"For example, asking users who are blind, visually impaired or dyslexic
to identify textual characters in a distorted graphic is asking them to
perform a task they are intrinsically least able to accomplish.
Similarly, asking users who are deaf, hard of hearing, or living with
Auditory Processing Disorder to identify and transcribe in writing the
content of an audio CAPTCHA is asking them to perform a task they're
intrinsically least likely to accomplish. Furthermore, traditional
CAPTCHAs have generally presumed that all web users can read and
transcribe English-based words and characters, thus making the test
inaccessible to a large number of non-English speaking web users
worldwide."

And that's the block I encounter with John's issues list. We need more
specificity.

Can someone help associate specific named COGA conditions to the various
issues John lists? That would then help me add them into our document.

Anyone able to help with that?

Best,

Janina

--