W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rqtf@w3.org > July 2018

Minutes from 18 July

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 10:08:44 -0400
To: public-rqtf@w3.org
Message-ID: <20180718140844.GJ10686@rednote.net>
Minutes from the RQTF teleconference of 18 July are provided below as text.
They're also available as hypertext at:

https://www.w3.org/2018/07/18-rqtf-minutes.html

   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                        Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

18 Jul 2018

Attendees

   Present
          janina, jasonjgw, scott_H, Judy

   Regrets

   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. CAPTCHA document reorganization and revision.
         2. APA relationships - implications for RQTF research agenda.
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trantor

   <scribe> scribe: janina

CAPTCHA document reorganization and revision.

   jgw: Created a branch with suggested reorganization of Sec. 3

   js: Suggests to all RQTF

   [discussion of how to find the URI of a github branch]

   <jasonjgw> https://rawgit.com/w3c/apa/document-organization/captcha/index.html

   <MichaelC> Rawgit URIs: https://rawgit.com/<org>/<repo>/<branch>/<path>

   <MichaelC> org is usually w3c, repo for us is apa

   <MichaelC> path for captcha is captcha/index.html

   <jasonjgw> Janina notes a considerable list of comments submitted on the document. There are blog comments as well that Janina hasn't been following up on yet.

   <jasonjgw> Michael notes that many of the blog comments simply indicate that other people have created links to the post from their blogs.

   <jasonjgw> Michael notes comments on GitHub issues and in the public comments list.

   <jasonjgw> Janina also notes comments on wai-ig.

   <jasonjgw> Janina notes consistent comments about Google Recaptcha.

   <jasonjgw> Michael suggests opening issues in GitHub corresponding to wai-ig messages and providing a link to the original message in the issue.

   js: Notes many (most?) comments pushing back on Recaptcha. We're far too complimentary to it.
   ... Also, apparently has regressed in past few months.

   <jasonjgw> Janina notes that the fall-back to a "traditional" CAPTCHA in Google's implementation was stated in general terms (not specific to ReCAPTCHA) and may not
   have been clear to reviewers.

   mc: Concerned about mentioning any brand

   jb: Also concerned on turn around--if we name now? How long before the next update?

   jgw: The approach seems to be unique to Recaptcha. We want to compliment the approach, not necessarily its implementation

   sh: Agrees. Hard to find actual test evidence.

   js: Some of our commentors express the hope that our doc will influence Google to fix Recaptcha fallback

   sh: Agree to not draw attention to it in Abstract or Summary, and clearly lay out fallback problem in text.

   js: Also mention dating, e.g. "as of this writing"

   sh: Quick skim and like the reorg

   jgw: We should clearly point out schemes that avoid captcha entirely
   ... This would help identify which ones still raise more a11y problems
   ... Can also do any suggested textual changes in the next week
   ... We should also identify any additional research that arrises out of comments

APA relationships - implications for RQTF research agenda.

   jgw: Notes Diagram conversation on the expert handler topic--and I didn't raise it!

   sh: Notes a collegue active in epub, might be interested in rqtf on this topic

   mc: moving to some additional apa verticals
   ... Web Xr, Leonie has submitted workshop proposal

   <MichaelC> WebVR Workshop Proposal

   jgw: Our work would be highly relevant

   js: aska mixed vs augmented

   sh: aug is when specific info is shown on screen
   ... mix appears like the real thing
   ... mostly Microsoft delineation

   <Zakim> Judy, you wanted to note that definitions, and branding, of these terms, are in flux

   jb: boundaries for these terms are in flux; as well as branding for the use of these terms

   sh: I'd say 90% of what I read don't differentiate

   jgw: We can think in terms of a continuium

   sh: We have a good bit to offer here, question on how to package it

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Present: janina jasonjgw scott_H Judy
Found Scribe: janina

-- 

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Received on Wednesday, 18 July 2018 14:09:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Tuesday, 17 January 2023 20:26:45 UTC