Re: Another way forward? (Just an idea for discussion)

Hi Liam,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 11:46 +1000, David Wood wrote:
> >
> > Web Publications Use Cases and Requirements [1] uses the term
> > "manifest" in
> > two different ways:
>
> It uses manifest and manifestation to mean two different things, but I
> think the uses are separate. If not, please do file comments so the
> document can be improved (even though we're hoping to move it to the
> Working Group as a possible input).
>
> Thanks
> [...]
> > It is worth noting that Web Publications for the Open Web Platform:
> > Vision
> > And Technical Challenges [3] says that a manifest should be
> > interpreted in
> > the FRBR context:
> >
> > - Section 1.1: "A Web Publication is not just a collection of links—
> > the
> > act of publishing involves obtaining resources and organizing them
> > into a
> > publication, which must be “manifested” (in the FRBR [frbr] sense) by
> > having the resources available on a Web server."
>
> No, to make manifest in the frbr sense is not the same as to make a
> manifest, a list of files.

Yes, of course. I agree.

> > So, am I late to this particular party, or is this a legitimate
> > misunderstanding?
>
> If you misunderstood then it's a genuine misunderstanding and the
> document should be clarified, as others might also misunderstand it.

So how do you interpret this bit?
[[
- Section 3.1: "BigRetailer receives a Web Publication from
EsteemedPublisher that it intends to add to its catalogue. BigRetailer
wants to adds it own “teaser” via an alternative reading order. To achieve
that, BigRetailer provides its own version of the publication’s manifest,
that the user agent will use instead of the publisher’s manifest."

Does that mean a replacement of a manifest file, or a different FRBR
manifest? It could be either. Worse, computer scientists and librarians
will parse it differently, with both parties being certain that they
understood.
]]