Re: Apparent inconsistency regarding equality in RIF-PRD

Hi Jesse,

The semantics of equality formulas, in PRD, is not specified wrt a state
of the fact base, but wrt the value of the terms on both side of the
equality: t1 = t2 iff sigma(t1) and sigma(t2) have the same value. So, no
need for equality facts, and no problem with transitivity, symetry or
reflexivity.

The case of lists is missing, though (since uninterpreted (logically
defined) terms are not allowed in RIF-PRD, a ground term either has an
atomic value or it is a ground list): I believe this is oversight, and the
intent was that ground lists List(a1...an) = List(b1..bm) iff n=m and
Ai=bi for all i.

I will propose a correction/clarification in the 2nd edition.

Cheers,

Christian

IBM
9 rue de Verdun