Re: Review XML Data in RIF

IBM
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel./Fax: +33 1 49 08 29 81

Christian De Sainte Marie/France/IBM wrote on 08/10/2010 19:36:35:

> I am almost done updating the RIF+XML data document [1], now:
> remains only [...]

Ooops! I forgot: there is also the question of entailement...

I wanted your opinion re how to define entailment in a RIF BLD+XML data
combination.

Specifically, I wonder if it is useful to define entailement in a RIF+XML
data combination, <R, E, S>: Phi entails Psy iff any models (E, Î, S) of
<R, E, S> of Psi is also a model of <R, E, S> of Phi?

The alternative would be to define entailment as usual, that is, Phi
entails Psy iff any models (E, Î, S) (of any RIF+XML data combination) of
Psi is also a model of Phi. If I am correct, that definition is exactly
equivalent to entailment in RIF BLD (since E, and S are not fixed).

On the one hand, I believe that we should not add useless notions just for
the sake of adding them; on the other hand, even if we do not see any use
in adding the notion of entailment specific to one particular RIF+XML data
combination, i may be only because we do not have the notion of a RIF+XML
data combination yet, and the specific entailment may prove useful in the
future...

So, what do you think: define the specific notion or not?

Cheers,

Compagnie IBM France
Siege Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 612.509.964 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644